About this blog...

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Because I tan so quickly

You tell me it's not fair that I tan so quickly.

But do you know the price I have to pay, because I look this way?

You say you want my skin - but would you want it for more than a day.
Is it worth it when the security guard follows you around.
Because of the color of my skin, I'm bound.

You say that I'm lucky that my skin is still dark in the winter.

But have I ever told you that it makes me bitter.
Because I've been told that my whole life white skin is better.
You tell me that the exotic look is in.
But my skin is not a trend.
Do you know how long it takes to mend,
 years of self doubt, years of being left out.

You tell me that I'm so lucky to be bilingual.
But do you know the price I've had to pay.
Learning the language so I could earn my stay
 In this country.
Not knowing my home.
Feeling alone.
Because I am here.
But my roots are elsewhere.
Do you know how much I long,
 to not feel wrong
 to not be wronged

Because I tan so quickly.

Have you ever felt judgement come down so swiftly.

Because you tan so quickly.

Have you ever felt fear knowing you're not wanted here.

Because you tan so quickly.

Has fairness ever seemed like just a fairytale, meant for the fairest (skinned) of them all.
Have you ever had to be two in one.
Playing the game, acting like it's fun.
Pretending to be white, knowing it's a show.
But if you slow,
 then you are left behind.
Because the world is not kind,
 when you tan so quickly.

Have you ever yearned
 when you learned
 that heaven is made of people
 not like the ones you see in the steeple.
Every tongue, tribe, and nation.
Here is where my hope lies, in this station.

Have you ever felt you were made incorrectly. Defectively.
Have you ever been washed by relief,
 felt like you can finally breathe,
 when you heard - the color of your skin is very good.
That's how it was created to be.
How do we fail to see.

You tell me it's not fair that I tan so quickly.
I agree. But it's who I'm made to be. And in that fact, I will be free.

4 comments: