About this blog...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Why do we eat Judy Dolls?

I don't know if this is something that I should be ashamed of or not. I watch Grey's Anatomy. And I love it. A lot. It's the one show that has makes me cry. All the time. Like a little baby. Like a teenage girl. Like a pregnant woman. So I am all three ages and stages in one when I watch this show.  I am an emotional mess and it's probably the reason why I lose so many friends when they watch Grey's with me. And it's how I will know who my future hubby will be. It is at those Grey's watching moments that I am my worst. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But if he can stick it out through that, then he can stick it out through pretty much anything. So anyway, it's my obsession. I like it. A lot. And I don't just throw that around.

Moving on from my hysteria over the show. I am currently watching it while studying for finals that I will fail. I watched the Enough is Enough episode. In this episode there is a guy who eats judy dolls.

Judy is so cute. 

I mean I've eaten some things that could be considered weird. Pennies, dog food, George Mason food, just kidding George Mason food is good. But the things that I ate, I could swallow, easily. The guy in this show swallowed Judy doll heads. Like Barbie doll heads. Swallowed them. Whole. With hair. And if you think that it's just a show, it's not a big deal. You are so, so wrong. This show has meaning and depth. Put aside the senseless sex and sometimes lack of common sense and intense fear of relational commitment for just a second and you have a show that is an observation of the complexity of human nature. Or maybe you could argue that those things just add to the complexity. So there. The fact that this man swallowed Judy Dolls, is important.

Obviously the question at hand is why the h would he swallow ten Judy doll heads. I mean it can't feel pleasant. Have you ever tried swallowing a Barbie doll head? Not an easy task my friend. Not even in the show. So even the sex driven, common sense lacking surgeons question the motives that this man had to ingest doll heads.

Yummy right?

Toward the end of the show, after they had removed the doll heads from the man's stomach, he somewhat answered the question of why he swallowed those doll heads. Once his tummy was doll head free, he said that he felt empty. First of all, he feels empty because ten doll heads is a lot.

But it goes a lot farther than that. The reason why this man ingested these doll heads is to make himself feel full. To avoid the sinking sensation of being empty.

So what does being empty feel like? It's those moments in life when you are worn out and exhausted. When you are at your limit and you honestly feel like you can do no more. When you are running/living on absolutely nothing. That's the feeling of being empty. It's a scary feeling. A feeling that I would do anything to stay away from.

So why do we eat Judy dolls? The same reason that we give ourselves away, the same reason that we turn to other things that numb us from the world. Because sometimes we think that living with the guilt is better than living with the emptiness. But in the end this is a no win situation. The things that you take, use, eat to get away from the emptiness end up hurting you just as much if not more. The Judy heads may have taken the man away from the emptiness but they also put his life in danger. And the emptiness,  the Judy dolls themselves are just as scary.



The Judy dolls themselves are weird and uncomfortable and don't make anyone feel good. So this is what it comes down to. What we rely on, the Judy doll heads, don't make us feel better and the emptiness is too scary to deal with. So what the heck does that leave us with?

I'll tell you what that leaves me with. It leaves me with nothing. I have nothing to fix the emptiness. I have nothing to make it better. I am useless. And that has been a hard lesson to learn. So when I am not enough, that would seem like the end of a hard fight, right? But that's not the case, when we have nothing  what does that leave us with? It leaves us with the love of a forgiving and redeeming friend. A love that heals. A love that fills the emptiness. A love that we have never known. A real love.

Can you imagine that? Something so great that takes away the pain? Takes away the feelings of our inadequacies? So instead of ripping dolls heads off and eating them to feel full, what if we turned to this love?

And here's the hardest concept of all. We can. We have this love at our fingertips, we can use it to heal our pain. But we don't. Why? Why can't we use this love? What is this anyway?

This love is the love of our eternal unfailing friend, our passionate and caring lover, and our stable, unchanging, always loving, and forgiving Father. It is the love of God. So why can't we accept it? Why do we not turn to this when we are hurting? Why is it so hard to believe that we have a Father who always loves and forgives?

This is something that has been on my heart a lot recently. And no matter how much I think about it, no matter how much I talk about it, discuss it, question and search for an answer, I can not find one. Why can't we accept love that is being given to us? Why are we obsessed with hurting? I don't know that anyone really knows.

Maybe it's because it is so hard to love ourselves, that we find it difficult to believe that someone else could love us.

Maybe it's because we have been disappointed so much, that investing in just one more relationship is too painful.

Maybe it's because we are too used to being the only ones we can rely on, the fact that there is someone else is unreal.

Maybe it's because our lives have been fairly simple to this point. We don't feel a need for a loving Savior.

Maybe it's because the concept is too scary.

Or maybe it's just easier to not.

Whatever it is, the empty feeling will always, always be the most terrifying feeling. And whatever it is, the things that we use to solve the emptiness will never be enough.

So maybe the first step is admitting that we eat doll heads. We use other things to solve the emptiness. Are those things working? Are we aware of the emptiness? How much pain will we have to go through until we begin to consider love as a solution?

19 comments:

  1. really nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very long and lost me after a few paragraphs. I dot say this to be mean but just honest. You need to get to the point quicker and stop repeating the same ideas in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched this episode on Netflix. I love Grey's Anatomy too... and it makes me cry too. It's embarrassing. I try to hold it in when I'm with friends, but the occasional sniffle usually betrays me. So after I watched this episode, I googled" Judy Dolls," just to see what it came up with and if anyone has ever really done this. Why would someone eat a Judy Doll head? Then I stumbled upon a picture that I clicked on that led me to your blog. At first I wasn't sure where you were going... I really wanted to know why that guy in the show ate the Judy doll heads!!! lol And then I got to your answer. Not what I was expecting at all! I've been struggling a lot with things lately. That feeling empty. I was even talking about it with a friend the other day, that "God-shaped" hole (as my friend calls it) that we try to fill with all of these other things and we're never satisfied because only God fits there perfectly. I've been so angry with myself because I know that God's love can fill the emptiness. I try reading my bible and praying and yet I can't seem to let myself feel complete, to LET myself feel that love. Why do I do that? I know better, but I still wish for some friendship or romance to come along to fill the void. I get it now. We do some pretty dumb stuff to try to fill the emptiness. The answer is so much more relevant to my life than I had ever imagined when I clicked on a picture of Judy Head dolls. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog...ignore the hypocrites :) I'm obsessed with Greys Anatomy and I do everything you do and I have like 10 posters. Anyway great description and good detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was amazing, i felt like this led on from the episode :), you really have a way with expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After watching this episode... For the fourth time... I googled judy dolls because i didn't even know what they were, and I found this blog. I'm in love with grey's anatomy, as in i'm rewatching all of the episodes again because now that i've watched GA, other shows are meaningless. Anyways, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know who you are or where your from but wow. That was amazing. I wasn't expecting it to go there at all. You are absolutely right though. Thank you for taking out the time to look so deeply. I myself am living proof that the solution to that emptiness is legitimate. Praise be to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. Funny how I just wanted to see what the heck this man swallowed and this is where it led. Hey, nice job following this scripture: Colossians 3:17 KJV

    And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a croc of shit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry. Tried to read but phased out. Way too long, repeating, and babble. Cut the crap and get the point or use "Kiss" method = "Keep It Simple Stupid". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome answer .

    ReplyDelete
  11. God is the same as eating doll heads or whatever else anyone does. People thinks he helps but he does not God is merely another way to fill the emptiness that leaves you with nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Watching this episode now, had to look up 'Judy dolls' and your blog is the first link I clicked. Emptiness, wanting to fill a void, that is real stuff. Interesting. Thanks for posing rhetorical questions to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am watching this episode right now and I was wondering why he would eat Judy Doll heads, so I googled it and stumbled upon this post...
    It's amazing that this series targets deep issues like that on the second glance, I love that. Thank you for this amazing post, because you are right that this emptiness is one
    of the worst feelings that you can experience. The feeling of not being of any value, the feeling of being lonely and this broad, numb emptiness.
    The only thing that can ease the pain is love. The love of a best friend, the love of a very close family member, the love of someone who is meant to be in a relationship with you.
    And the love of God for the people who believe in God.
    It's a rare thing to find true love, passion and friendship in this world. Look closely at the people around you. There is someone who loves you. Who truely loves you, not one of these fake friends, not one of these liars. If you find one of them, never let them go! At one point in your life, this person might be the only one left.
    To come to an end... I can understand this guy now. :) Although I wouln't eat doll heads to feel better, but we all know the struggle, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blog. "God is love and all who love in love live in God."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this post awhile ago trying to find an answer to why the patient in greys ate the judy doll heads and I found your blog post. I revisited it because I just started my own blog and wanted to go back to one of the posts that sticks in my mind, the fact that someone wrote about this small moment on greys and brought some of their own insight to it was really interesting and i enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was goin great until all that god stuff

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was goin great until all that god stuff

    ReplyDelete