About this blog...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gini Happiness Index

When the United Nations gets together to discuss human rights, they judge countries on human rights by different methods. They include social and economic equality. One method which I recently learned about is the Gini Happiness Index. This is an index which uses a nations happiness to indicate whether it is developed/developing.

One would assume that a nation that is happy is developed, right? Surprisingly, (at least to me) it's the opposite. The sign of a developed nation is a lack of happiness. According to this happiness index, the higher economic prosperity, middle class lifestyle, the more a person will want. It's the general, once you get something you just end up wanting something more. When a person sets a goal, reaching the American Dream (white picket fence, stable job, family, blah, blah) and they obtain it, then there is a sense of dissatisfaction. When we get something that we want, then we want more. When we reach our goals we are unhappy.

It is a cycle that is continual. You know, the definition of cycle, continuous. So I guess my question is, is anyone ever happy? Ever? I mean you set a goal, obtain it and then you are unhappy or you set a goal, you don't reach it and then you are unhappy and disappointed. And in this case I don't think that there is a median gray area. In most situations there are gray (or do you spell it grey? I NEED TO KNOW!) areas, but not with the Gini index, which in case you hadn't figured it out is a metaphor for life.

I just want to know if we are ever satisfied with the lives that we lead. Because this is what I've been feeling, I've been feeling a little tired of school, I've been feeling like what I'm doing now has little significance. So I am dissatisfied. The more I have, the more I want. So the Gini Happiness Index is true.

Now that we have that established, the next question is where do we go from there? If we know that we have a tendency to be unsatisfied, how do we deal with it? How will I deal with it?

The importance in life is to find a passion. To figure out what the heck we care about. Then from there we do things in order to put that passion into action. We find purpose and we dedicate our life to do what we love for the ones we love. So I guess I'm still trying to get through this stage in life. Which is actually your whole life.

And then once I am dead I will know that though it wasn't easy, I live my life for something that I loved. Even though there were moments when I was unsatisfied and craved more.

Those are my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment