There's too much laughter and it's too loud is something that my advanced comp teacher said to one of her classes a long time ago and it has stuck with me.
Because it is so true. So applicable.
Too much laughter is overwhelming, draining. You would think it would be the opposite, but it's not. When there is too much energy in the room you can lose energy, feel emotionally drained.
It's like that saying, "too much of a good thing will make you die faster and be ugly." Okay maybe that's not the exact quotation but let's just go along those same lines. Too much of something, anything, even something good can be overwhelming. Spend too much time with someone who you really like and you will begin to find fault and nit pick. Spend too much time playing something that you love and you will become bored. Spend too much time in community and you start to feel frazzled. There has to be a good balance. Time for you, time for others; time for fun, time for work; time for friends, time for family.
But what happens when everything is thrown at you at one time.
And you can't BREATHE.
Or relax.
Or think.
Or live.
Or function properly in any arena.
And it's like you are sitting outside of your body and you are watching your little self go through a checklist of things that absolutely without a doubt have to be done today. And you try to help yourself out and move things around to make time for the simple act of breathing. But it is impossible.
That's when there is too much laughter. When it's too loud. So loud that you can barely hear your whispered thoughts. And it's too much of strain to attempt to listen closely.
I am tired. There is too much laughter in my life right now. I just need some silence. Giggles would suffice. I need to be able to have enough time in the day where I can just think.
Think about myself.
What I want to do with my life.
What I have done.
What I should do better.
What my contribution to the world is.
How comfortable my bed is.
Instead of having to think of which task is next to complete.
What time my next assignment is due.
How I will ever manage to find the time to eat lunch.
How I can make it on time to class without leaving work early.
So I guess it all starts by realizing that though there is too much laughter in my life at this moment - at least there is laughter. Instead of screaming, complaining, whimpering. At least it's laughter. And always my good friend John Mayer continues to remind me that the heart of life is indeed good.
No comments:
Post a Comment